Saturday, August 11, 2012

Day the Tenthe

Day 10

Ok – so, we’re in Kas, and I’m writing this drunk.

Sparkles, Shakira and I got up in time (just) to have some breakfast at the hotel. It was quite tasty, and we were surprised at the range. Normally in Turkish accommodation breakfast consisted of boiled eggs, tomato, cucumber and watermelon, but here they also had cereal, juice (albeit reconstituted concentrate), some kind of Turkish spring rolls (which were cheese based rather than meat based), and mezes. Mmmmmm.

SO, as I say we “just” made it in, we basically filled up a plate before having the staff come past to clean off our plates. Fortunately, they were quite gracious and allowed us to finish our breaky before taking shit away.

Post breakfast, we faffed around for a bit, and had to evacuate the room at 1pm when the cleaning staff came through and forced us out. We went for a bit of wander through the town, past the pier, and a few other local venues before heading into a store that a couple of quite English old ladies recommended to us. This was where we met Ali and his brother, who ran a very tight ship.
This store had all of the Turkish wonders that you could be after, and I was sure that there was a slim mark up, but Ali’s customer service style was very similar to what we would expect in Melbourne – a greet and then allowing the customer to look around before throwing a few questions out there to promote the sale.
Let’s just say that we spent a LOT of money at Ali’s establishment.
Sparkles and I lined up a couple of things, before we moved on to grab a bite to eat. We left Shakira in the store to browse.
Sparkles managed to find something that she had been craving (spaghetti bolognaise) at a restaurant a couple of doors up, and I had a fantastic chicken panini at Jimmy Jokers (the name of the place we grabbed lunch). Sparkles and I also grabbed a beer before Shakira met up with us, when she ordered her lunch, chowed it down, and then headed back to do some more shopping.

Following our post-lunch shop, the three of us found a supermarket and bought some beers and chips and various stuff to tide us over, and headed back to our room to stock up our fridge, chow down on some pippas seeds and play a game of ticket to ride (if you have an iPad, you should grab that game. FANTASTIC!!!).

We all had a tactical snooze, and it was quite late in the evening when we arose. The girls weren’t that hungry, so I decided to take a tactical walk through the town. Unfortunately I was unable to find anywhere that did take away kebabs. What I did find, however, was a roast potato stand that added in whatever miscellaneous bibs and bobs you could crave. So, I grabbed one of these and headed back to the hotel (even though the potato cost me 9 lira… which after maths came to $4.50).
Sparkles, Shakira and I had a very blunt conversation that evening, establishing some of the things that annoyed us with our trip concerning the other parties involved.
I think I got off pretty much Scott free (no pun intended), and while we were chatting Shakira hoed into my roast potato as well. Admittedly, I wasn’t going to finish it on my own, and we had a very good conversation while we put down the beers that we had purchased.

All in all, this was a very good first day in Kas.

No comments:

Post a Comment