This was to be another day of traveling, but I will go into a little bit more detail, as there were some more interesting things that happened.
We were traveling from Pamukkale to Fethiye, the port town where we were going to board our boat for a 4 day cruise. We were looking forward to it for the chance to be able to sit back and relax for a couple of days after our rather hectic traveling schedule of the previous week.
We got up early and got our bags packed, ready to get out of here. We had breakfast downstairs at the hostel and were not surprised when, like dinner the previous night, the food was shit. No hard-boiled eggs – today it was some sort of powdered egg, and even the watermelon, cucumber and tomato was average. At least the apple tea was nice.
We headed down to try to find the mini-bus pick-up point, and saw an office for the bus company that we were traveling with next to our hostel. A kid, probably not much older than 10, asked us if we were the three people that had come from Selcuk and were heading on to Fethiye. We were surprised and said yes, and he told us that we could catch the actual bus we were getting on from that point. I was extremely grateful not to have to walk down the hill with my suitcase, and that this kid knew his shit!
We went and got our bags straight away, and waited out the front of the bus office, even though we still had another 30 minutes before the bus would leave.
Once the bus arrived, we hoped it was going to be our shuttle bus, as it was a small little thing, with terrible amount of leg room. Not what I was looking forward to, since the point of my knee that I had hit the day before was wedged into the hard plastic lining of the seat.
The bus left and arrived at Denizli, and I discovered that this tiny bus was to be our transportation to Fethiye, a 4 hour drive away.
I tried to sleep as much as possible on the trip, due to my knee and diminishing queasiness, but struggled because of the small amount of space.
We played another few games of Trivial Pursuit on the I-pod touch; in one of the games I only had 1 shot, as Doolittle managed to win the game in 2 turns. Kudos to her.
We arrived in Fethiye at about 4pm, and got to our hostel about half an hour later on the bus company shuttle bus. We checked in without any issues, and 5 minutes later the hostel owner came to our room with a nice refreshing plate of watermelon for us.
Upon exploration of the bathroom, we realized that the door didn’t shut, so we had to give warning to each other when we needed to use the facilities, and use a shoe to wedge the door almost closed.
We took a walk along the water front to find out where the office of the boat company we would be using the next day was, and despite promising ourselves that it would be an alcohol free day, we sat down at a place and had a few beers, before going to a nearby restaurant, where I was able to get a fantastic chicken burger.
Just as we were paying the bill, our old friends Steve, Jo, Riley and Briarne walked down the side of the restaurant and said hello. We couldn’t believe that we’d randomly bumped into them again.
We wandered back to the place that we’d had beers at, and caught up on the goss of our travels of the past couple of days. Lapzang told them the story about the autistic Kurdish cousins and his cushion covers, I told them about my knee and the Iraqi physio, and they told us that they had been disappointed with Pamukkale too, although they had done it as a day trip, rather than gone and stayed there.
At the end of the night, we wandered back along the water front, as Steve and co’s accommodation was a little bit further along than ours.
Doolittle and Lapzang went and had a little bit of a lie down (it was 11pm by this stage), but I headed back down to the outside terrace area where I had another beer.
The night-watch man was sitting down with a couple of his friends, and they invited me to join them to watch a dodgy copy of Wolverine on his laptop and share a sheesha.
I stayed down there for an hour, until Lapzang and Doolittle came down and had another beer, and then we all headed off to bed to get our snooze on before our boat trip the next day.
Wednesday, August 12, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment