Saturday, August 22, 2009

The Baba Veli Day 3

Oh, my poor head! I was in a very poor state this morning. The shaaaaaabyness!
And not was I feeling rather hung over, I was now starting to suffer a bit from lack of sleep (since it was quite hot on the boat and the sun rose early and woke you up about 6.30) and the Sultan’s Revenge was coming back to haunt me again.

I wasn’t the first person up – there were a few people going for a swim off the side of the boat, so I got changed into my swimmers and headed straight for the best hang-over cure known to man – a swim in the ocean. Admittedly, diving head first into the water without my arms up may not have been the best of ideas, but the water felt soooo good.

The events of that morning are a bit of a blur, so I can only really remember what happened from lunch-time onwards. After lunch we went past a city that had half sunken below the ocean – you could still see buildings and walls above the water, and below you could make out where the buildings had been. It was very surreal, and one of the girls wondered why the city had sunk. Unfortunately the English of Hamish and the El Capitanwasn’t good enough to explain what had happened.
I did manage to find out from Steve & co, who got on the boat the day after we did, that due to the movement of the tectonic plates, some areas of the Mediterranean are sinking under the water. Trippy.

After passing the sunken city, we stopped off at what was once part of that same city… on the other side of the bay. There was a fort up the top of the hill, which Adam and Jason scaled to investigate, but Lapzang, Doolittle, Ebony, Kate, Rachelle and myself were all too hot from the furious weather (I don’t think I mentioned that it was 38+ degrees every day on the boat, and this day had been about 41) – and I was still recovering from the previous night. The 6 of us sat in one of the waterside tavernas (which was pretty run down from a Western perspective, but it had cold beers), and the girls came back from the toilets with stories of Hoppy the frog who kept them company.

We returned to the boat, and got ready to go to a ‘nightclub’ at a place called Smugglers Cove. As we weren’t heading to Smugglers Cove until a bit later in the night, the 6 of us that had had drinks broke out the cards and got stuck into a game of Arsehole. This time, though, instead of just swapping cards, we played with the rule that the winner could tell the loser that they had to do something for them.
I lost the first game to Ebony, and was told that she could tell me to do anything for her for the rest of the night.
Rachelle won a shoulder, hand and foot massage, and made Ebony her drinks bitch for the rest of the night.
Kate won and made Ebony her drinks bitch.
Lapzang won a shoulder massage off Rachelle, so he cancelled them out, but made Ebony his drinks bitch for the rest of the night.
(Now, given that I was Ebony’s bitch for the night, can you see who really ended up getting all of the drinks???)
Lapzang also beat Doolittle, and told her that every time he clicked his fingers for the rest of the night, no matter what she was doing she had to get up and dance like an Ewok. And boy, did he make good use of that.
He called Hamish over at one point, and clicked his fingers – Doolittle got up and started dancing, and Hamish’s face lit up. He tried clicking his fingers at points throughout the night, but couldn’t get it to work. He would tap Lapzang on the shoulder and get Lapzang to make it work. Hours of fun for all.

After playing Arsehole, Ebony got me to give her an hour long massage. I think I did a good job, because she didn’t complain (neither did I).
Once that hour was over, we had a dinner of chicken wings which Hamish had cooked on the BBQ. It was amazing. We had had eggs for breakfast every morning, and we were wondering whether Hamish had killed the goose that laid the golden egg.

It was finally time to head to Smugglers Cove and get our smash on. A long boat came to pick us all up, and even though it appeared full, the driver showed that it wasn’t and picked up about another 10 Germans off another boat.
From the description listed, we had all expected Smugglers Cove to be some sort of nightclub, or disco, or at least have 4 walls. When we arrived, it looked like something that wouldn’t look astray if you came across it in the bayous of Louisiana. There were a number of tables out the front, a 3 walled bar, and a dance floor inside. It was also stinking hot inside, so after a few songs (yes, they did have a DJ) we moved the party out to an open area in the middle of the tables.
The drinks were expensive, outside it was still extremely hot, and the children that the Germans had brought along looked like they may have a bit of retardation from the way they danced… and this coming from me.
Ebony called in a few more favors, getting me to get drinks for her (and Kate and Rachelle and Lapzang), and using a fan to keep her cool. Geez!
After about an hour, Lapzang, Doolittle, Rachelle, Ebony and myself all decided to head back to the boat, where the beers were bigger and it would be cooler. We piled into the longboat, and as we were heading back, Hamish ran down to the edge of the dock and started clicking his fingers. Lapzang picked up on what Hamish wanted, so he clicked his fingers, and Doolittle had to get up and do her little dance. Hehe.

Returning to the boat was a great idea. Not only was it cooler, we had free reign of the ship (well, there was only one crew member, who was asleep most of the time), we had plenty of alcohol, and we didn’t need to worry about making too much noise. Ebony called in another massage and got me up at one point to do an Ewok dance. The audacity of her!

About an hour and a half after we had returned, the El Capitancame back in his little boat, and did not look happy. I asked him what the problem was, and he informed us that the others from the boat had not wanted to come back, even though he had told them earlier that 1.30 would be a good time to wind up the night. I think it was more the fact that they told him point blank that they were going to stay out until they were ready (and Hamish, his first mate, stuck around with them). He joined us for about 20 minutes and a drink to calm down, and then I offered to go back with him to try to round them up and bring them back onto the ship. He seemed very appreciative, and the two of us jumped into his little putt-putt boat and started to make our way back to Smugglers Cove.
Before we had gone 100 metres, we heard one of the longboats coming, and a lot of noise was being made – we assumed it was the rest of the people from our boat. El Capitan turned the boat around and we climbed back onto the boat. I assisted everybody back onto the boat (there were a few unsteady people amongst the group) and while I had been off the boat, Lapzang, Doolittle and Ebony had secured us all bedding. Which was a relief, because everybody else went out to grab beds, and continue drinking there.
I had a good chat with a lot of the people that I’d only had brief interactions with, and there were a lot of laughs and calls of “Scotty don’t” (from Austin Powers).

I turned around and saw that Hamish was getting a bit of a dressing down from El Capitan, who was still pissed about the people not coming back onto the boat. El Capitan headed below decks at this point, and Hamish and one of the girls also disappeared… it didn’t take long for us to locate them up on the roof of the ship, doing a bit of ‘roof surfing’. In fact, it became so widely known that they had to call ‘game off’.

It was another great night… although another one with very little sleep – I think I only ended up getting about 2 and a half hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment