Ok – so another day where I woke up with a hangover. Not quite as bad as the previous day’s, but still not too great combined with the lack of sleep.
Hamish outdid himself with his breakfast this morning. It certainly hit the spot – the scrambled eggs were magical, combined with the other bits and pieces. I must say, I was starting to get sick and tired of the tomato, cucumber, eggs, bread and cheese.
Yesterday we had been discussing whether there would be any more eggs for breakfast after Hamish cooked up the chicken on the BBQ – one of those ‘which came first’ scenarios: would the chicken lay any more eggs, and feed us that way, or would the chicken itself become the next meal. Obviously we had the best of both worlds.
After breakfast El Capitan fired up the boat, and we cruised on for about another hour and a half, where he pulled the boat over and allowed us to go for another swim. I was quite swum out by this stage (and quite hung over too), so I played a few more games of Backgammon against El Capitan, and managed to hold my own, although once again neither of us emerged as the winner.
Lunch was served early today, as apparently the crew wanted to get underway and drop us off at the port, and get another bunch of passengers on board for the return trip. Hamish and El Capitan asked if I wanted to come back onto the boat when they neared Kalkan on their return trip and have a meal with them again. They also informed me that the passengers would be mostly girls, which was an interesting draw card, but after spending 4 days on the boat, I was about ready to get my land legs back.
After lunch, El Capitan started the boat and headed round the corner… when we realized that we were at our destination. Sigh – such a short trip.
We got off the boat at the port of Demre, and they loaded us all onto a small bus. The bus headed into the town of Demre and dropped Lapzang, Doolittle and myself off, with El Capitan, and took the others to another spot to look around before they were driven to Olympos and the tree houses there. El Capitan had jumped off the bus with us to allow us to get money out of the bank-o-mat machines and pay for the copious amount of drinks we had consumed. For him, I think the three of us were like those I.O.U.s that you look at and go “that one’s a keeper!” Between the 3 of us we owed 400 lira, so he wasn’t about to let us out of his sight.
I went for a bit of a wander to try to find an internet café, and located the museum of Saint Nicholas. No, not the St. Nick that we know – seeing drawings of this Nick, he looked neither jolly nor fat although he did have a big bushy beard. I was unable to find internet, so returned to Lapzang and Doolittle where we did the smart thing – asked the fellow working at the Otogar where internet was available. He told us that it was very close, and just down a street that I had walked past. We checked the internet and Doolittle got the details of the people that were supposed to pick us up and take us to Kalkan, our next destination.
The three of us went for a wander after contacting the people that were picking us up, and Lapzang and Doolittle located a store that sold some very nice Backgammon boards. They bought a very nice one, and we headed on to grab a bite to eat. We had some excellent Turkish pizzas and apple tea, before heading back to the Otogar to wait for our lift.
Our driver rocked up not too long after this point, and drove us the hour and a half to Kalkan. I slept for most of the trip, not just because I was tired but because he was a rather crazy driver that didn’t respect the line running down the middle of the road. I figured it was safer this way.
When we arrived in Kalkan, we found that our house wasn’t ready, as the Germans that had been staying before us hadn’t left yet. We went for a little walk and found a bar nearby where we had a couple of beers to pass the time. After we had consumed this alcohol, we headed back to the rental agency, who gave us the keys and a lift down to our rented villa.
Once we got inside, we found we had a fantastic 3 story place – it was so nice that we all did a little jig – after all, there’s nothing like interpretative dance to help express your feelings. The place had a terrace with an amazing view over the bay, and we had another beer, before going out for dinner.
We were growing weary of Turkish food, and found a pizza place that had a balcony and another amazing view out over the bay. The pizza was very tasty, and a great break.
After dinner, we grabbed a few beers and headed back to the terrace, where we boozed on, and ended up having a reasonably early night, where we got to sleep in blissful air-conditioning. Ah, the sweet sweet coolness of aircon. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment