Monday, July 4, 2016

Day 4 - A Midsommar Night's Hangover

Day 4 - Day after Midsommar

Despite the fact that many of us had been up until very 
late (or early, depending on how you look at it), most of us were still up around 9am.
For some, this was due to parental duties, for myself, I 
tend to wake up early after a big night - my body 
informing me in no uncertain terms that I need to get 
some water.

I grabbed a coffee and some breakfast, and sat down 
outside with Lagertha and Aslaug, the three of us slightly 
the worse for wear but prepared to tackle the day ahead.

A trip to the beach was planned, with Aslaug, Loki, Floki, 
Thorsten and several other parents taking the horde of 
children with us.
It was a short walk from the house to the beach, and 
much to the delight of the children, a man rode past on a 
penny farthing bike.
All sorts of questions were asked of the adults, most 
notably how he got up and would get down.
One of the kids asked if he had a step ladder hidden 
somewhere, or if he was a gymnast and able to leap up 
and off the bike.

It was a beautiful sandy beach, with the weather a sunny 
26 degrees. I was one of the last to arrive, and headed to 
the water to have a swim.
Despite the warm weather we had experienced over the 
past couple of days, I expected the water to be cold, and 
boy did it deliver.
I have found that when hung over, a swim in the ocean is 
a fortifying experience and goes a long way to reviving 
me... once I get past the first 5 minutes of being freezing 
and feeling god-awful.

After the swim, with one of the other adults and several 
of the children I played a game called Gris, or Pigs, where 
you stand in a circle and throw a tennis ball to each other.
Every time you drop the ball, you get a letter. If you drop 
the ball 4 times, you are out. I was kind on the kids, and 
allowed myself to go out early and let them win the day.
Plus there was talk of going to get some ice creams, which 
sounded like music to my ears.

I also played with a few of the kids on a series of rocks at 
the shore line (placed there to help stop erosion), helping 
them move from rock to rock by holding their hands or 
pointing to a good rock for them to move to.
I tell you, those kids were little spider monkies - my role 
was mostly supervisory, and I think they kept their 
balance better than I did.

Aslaug and I headed back early with 2 of the kids, as she 
was feeling a bit poorly and also needed to catch up with 
her parents in Helsingborg.
I was given the option of staying at Lagertha’s for another 
night, or going back with Aslaug to maybe catch up with 
A2 and Heinz before they headed up to Stockholm.
I was torn as to what I should do, but I chose to let Aslaug 
head back home, grab a tactical snooze, and have a quiet 
night with her parents (who were staying at her place), 
while I stayed on.

When the others had returned from the beach, we feasted 
on left overs from the previous day, and then Floki drove 
Aslaug and myself to the train station.
I went along to say farewell (until tomorrow) to Aslaug, 
and give Floki a hand bringing 2 of Loki’s bikes that were 
at the train station back to the house.
They both had baskets on the front, and one had a child’s 
seat on the back. The other one was pink, so I chose to 
ride the red one with the child seat.
I’d prefer to be thought of as a father than ride a pink 
bike.

Floki headed on to the supermarket and to pick up his 
mother and bring her over for dinner, while I mounted 
the bike and started to ride back.

This was an interesting journey.
The temperature was about 28 degrees, the sun beating 
down, I had thongs on my feet (or flip flops for the 
non-Aussies - not g strings) and within about 50 meters I remembered that I hadn’t ridden a bike in probably 20 years, if not longer.
I had forgotten how gears work on a bike, and couldn’t 
seem to find a good gear that was easy to ride with - 
the bike was making some horrible squeaking noises, 
and it was a terrible struggle.
As the saying goes “It’s like riding a bike”... 
Sure, you may not forget how to do it, but that doesn’t 
mean it is easy to pick up again.
The ride was shorter than I expected it to be, and when I 
arrived back at the house, I told everybody with a few 
laughs about the trip.
Loki approached me with a look of chagrin on his face 
and asked “You rode the red bike? No wonder you had 
such a hard time - the wheel is broken and rubs against 
the rim.”
This made the story even funnier in the eyes of everyone 
there.

An afternoon journey to the beach was planned, so while almost everybody else went, Thorsten and I played a few 
games of Pingers - I wasn’t getting any better - and we 
fired up the bbq and cooked some meat up for the return 
of the others.

While we relaxing at the table just after eating, I noticed 
something that I pointed out to Loki, who was sitting next to me.
Loki and Lagertha’s youngest son was rolling down the 
hill in their backyard with his pants and underpants 
around his ankles with 3 of the girls running along after 
him.
Loki laughed, saying that his son just needed to pee, 
and told him to go and pee against a tree.
The girl’s mothers told the girls to give him some privacy, 
and as the girls wandered back over to the group of 
children, they were obviously asked what was happening.
One of the girls (who was about 5) thrust her hips 
forwards and made a jiggling motion, mimicking what 
the young lad was doing.
This caused both parents and children to all laugh.

After dinner, the Pingers table was put to use again, with a round robin style of game being played.
The guys and the older children all grabbed paddles, 
mobile phones, thongs (flip flops) - whatever was at hand - and made a circle around the table.
When you hit the ball, you had to keep moving anti-clockwise around the table, waiting your turn until you 
came to the other end, where you hit the ball again, 
until you were knocked out.
The children had 3 lives, but the adults only had 1.
I was quite often the first one knocked out, but I did 
manage to win one game against Loki and Lagertha’s 
eldest son. After winning, I yelled out “I’m the king of 
the world!”.
He didn’t look impressed, even though he had already 
won 6 games.

I stepped inside at one point to grab a drink, and saw that one of the kids had picked up my ukulele and was chasing one of the other kids around, trying to use it as a weapon and bash him over the head.
With wide eyes I started chasing after the offender saying “no no no no no no no no”.
Despite the language barrier, I’m pretty sure he knew 
what I was saying, as, with a cheeky grin, he and the 
other boy started playing a game of keepings off with 
me.
I only managed to get the uke back into my hands 
once I had picked one of the boys up and then caught 
the other one.

Around 9pm, Floki and Loki asked for my help taking 
down the tents, as a massive thunder storm was rolling 
across Germany and was headed our way - they didn’t 
want the tents to act as a lightning rod or to be blown 
away.
We got them both packed up within about 30 minutes 
and the Pingers table put under cover just as a few 
drops of rain fell.
We had been able to see the lightning in the distance 
for a while, and I was excited to continue drinking 
under cover and see what this storm had to give us.

Sadly, those few drops of rain were all that we got, 
although we could see the lightning in the distance 
for most of the night as it blew over Sweden to the 
north of us.
I was to find out the next day that the lightning caused 
some havoc with the rail lines, damaging some signals 
and causing delays.

A handful of us continued drinking, I broke out the 
ukulele again for some late night music, while Thorsten 
played a few songs that would make good additions to 
my uke library.
We turned in between 2 and 3am, with myself thanking 
everyone as they headed off to bed for making me feel 
so welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment